Small Group Presentation
The goal of this assignment is for you to work through and present a class lecture and to lead a discussion on a given topic. Your rhetorical goal is to help facilitate the learning of the class toward your particular week’s subject not to display mastery of the material.
To simply present the material is not enough.
Your goal is to ground the material, readings, and issues of your particular weeks topic in the lived experience of members of the class and in the context of previous readings and assignments. Your group will then divide the topic into segments so that each group member will have at least one aspect to research or a particular take on an aspect or issue. As a group, you will need to coordinate your efforts and organize your presentation. You will be given class time to meet with your group.
You will be coworking not group working your presentation.
In a nutshell, your goal is to add value to the readings for that week.
Group Presentation/Group Memo: 75 points
- Each group will lead a class discussion that needs to be substantive i.e. it will need to be long, though the format is up to the group. That presentation must include:
- a writing prompt to start the class
- a collaborative activity that results in some sort of writing
- a slide show to help accomplish you
- a memo that describes your teams goals are
- Each group should plan to take up approximately 40 minutes of class time
Peer evaluation/Individual Memo: 25 points
- Members will grade each other’s efforts in preparation. This grade will have to be justified on the part of the grader i.e. why does little Johnny deserve the “Very Helpful” you are giving him. I will provide you with a form to help facilitate this.
Here are some suggestions on how to start:
What about that week’s topic is interesting to you? What might be interesting to the rest of the class? Is a that day’s author on to something? Using shoddy evidence? Not using the right sources? Pandering to their audience?
Isolate some issues involved in your topic, then explore each of the issues in depth to discover some of the key problems or questions, then assign areas of research. Also consider methods of presentation which your group can consider using
Each person should share the information he/she gathered so that the group as a WHOLE expands its understanding of the topic, the issues, and the problems. Also, there should be some discussion about what is yet unknown to the group
Deliverables from Group
- a hard copy class planning memo turned in the day of the presentation
- slideshow turned in the day of the presentation
Deliverables from Individuals
Reflective hard copy memo indicating:
- A paragraph reflecting on the overall experience as well as the presentation from a personalized perspective. Please note, I am uninterested in your opinion of the value of group work.
- One paragraph discussing both the performance and process of each fellow group member evaluated according to the following system: (Extremely Helpful, Very helpful, Helpful, Not So Much, Detrimental). Please make a claim then give specific supporting detail to support that claim i.e. if Doug was “Not So Much,” it is because he didn’t really talk while we were trying to figure out what to do and then didn’t seem that prepared the day we gave the presentation.
Paper work should be turned in for each small group presentation no later than one week following that group’s presentation